Friday, July 26, 2013

Day -5: Surgery Prep

I was sent a great quote today that made me smile and feel encouraged.

‘Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together’ -Marilyn Monroe

(courtesy of my Mom's co-worker)

***********************************************************

Over the past few weeks, I have been gathering items that I will need pre- and post-surgery.  Below is a list (and the reason for the item).

 

Items that I (or my parents) bought pre-surgery:

Zip shirt (because getting a shirt over my swollen and bandaged head is going to be a struggle)
Iron supplements (to increase blood production, I started taking these 2 weeks prior to surgery and will continue to take post-surgery)
Pill crusher (in case I need to switch from liquid to solid pain and antibiotic meds)
Pill box/organizer (to keep track of medicines)
SPF 50 (no tanning, the severe bruising can stain my skin if exposed to sunlight)
Vasoline (for my chapped lips)
Baby spoons (since I will be numb and only have a small opening, the plastic coated smaller spoons will work better)
Bibs (yes, I will probably have food messes like a baby)
Nasal aspirator (for my sinuses)
Food grinder (so I can eat, duh!)
Blender (see above)

Items that UNC Hospital will send me home with post-surgery:

Baby toothbrush (so I can clean my teeth through my tiny opening)
Rubber bands (for banding my jaw shut, these will need to be replaced approximately 2x per day)
Nasal spray (for my sinuses)
Wound dressings (I will have two external cuts, all others will be in the mouth)
Facial cold wrap (how else am I going to get the swelling to go down?)

No comments:

Post a Comment