Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day -9: Hooks & Ties

I had surgical hooks and steel ties put in by my orthodontist on Monday, July 22nd.  The process took almost 2 hours.  You can clearly see the surgical hooks in the picture below; however, the steel ties are harder to see.  The steel ties replace the rubber bands that go around each of the brackets.  My surgeon will place elastics on selected hooks from the top to bottom jaw to secure it in the proper healing position after surgery (a splint across my top teeth will also be used).  I’ll receive instructions on how often I can remove the elastics to clean my teeth and exercise my jaw.  I will have to wear the elastics and splint for 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.  During this time, I will only be allowed to consume liquid and soft foods.  I am going to be one cranky lady.


1 comment:

  1. you may be cranky but you'll be a blending meal expert by the end of this! (and probably never blend anything ever again!)

    ReplyDelete